Solveering™ LLC Engineering Simulation Services
The tasks we spend most of our time and effort on are fluid-thermal (coupled CFD) simulations. Over the years we have acquired a number of cutting edge tools in this field. Solveering™ LLC also performs structural FEA simulations of simple parts using Algor DesignCheck.
Prior Work Examples
Solveering LLC won a competitive project to optimize the cabin airflow within the Pilatus PC-24 aircraft. This project involved modelling of the complete cabin structure and determining the optimum placement of heating and cooling outlets for passenger comfort. The study also predicted the timing of cockpit and cabin warm-up and cool-down modes, steady-state comfort during cruise as well as the optimization of smoke-clearing procedures. Sub projects were also the optimization of cooling and heating of the avionics in a cabin rack and in a nose compartment
Areas of Simulation
- Fluid Simulation
- Thermal Simulation
- Structural / Motion Simulation
- Start-to-Finish handling of CAD to CAE conversion (model simplifications, meshing & setup of highly complex geometries)
- Laminar and Turbulent Fluid Flow (k-Epsilon, k-Omega, SST and similar turbulence models) for subsonic, transsonic and hypersonic flow.
- Fluid-Solid heat transfer including Discrete Transfer Radiation modeling.
- Deformable Mesh.
- Steady State and Transient simulations.
- Very Large Simulations (in excess of 100M Cells have been simulated on a 32-core Opteron Magny-Cours Cluster with 128GB dedicated RAM).
- Ansys DesignModeler for configuration of CAD geometry use in CFD.
A detailed list of the Ansys CFX capabilities can be found on their web site (CFD-Flo).
CD-Adapco Star CCM+
A full license of CCM+ can be used to mesh highly complex bodies, and run a diverse set of physics. The Star CCM+ package is capable of the following physics simulation;
- Steady-state, Unsteady Implicit/Explicit, Harmonic Balance
- Stationary, Moving Reference Frame, Rigid Body Motion, Mesh Morphing, Multiple Superimposed Motions
- Single, Multiphase and Multi-Component Fluids, Non-Newtonian Fluids, Incompressible, Ideal gas, Real Gas & User Defined Compressibility
- Free surface (VOF) with Boiling or Cavitation, Lagrangian, Eulerian and Discrete Element Modeling (DEM), Wave profile generation for Flat, First and Fifth Order Stokes, Irregular, Superimposed Waves
- Segregated or Coupled Flow and Energy
- Inviscid, Laminar, Turbulent (RANS, LES, DES), Gamma-Re Theta and User Defined Transition Modeling
- Porous Media (volumetric and baffle), Fan and Heat Exchanger models, Conjugate Heat Transfer
- Conduction, Convection, Solar, Thermal, Multi-Band and Specular Radiation (Discrete ordinates or surface-to-surface)
- Combustion and Chemical Reaction (PPDF, CFM, PCFM, EBU), Coal Combustion, Soot & Nox prediction and DARS CFD complex Chemistry Coupling
- Fluid Induced Motion in 6 Degrees of Freedom including Propulsion and Maneuvering, multi-Body Interactions Including Body-Body Linear and Catenary Couplings
- Aeroacoustic Analysis: Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) Spectral Analysis, Inverse FFT, Broadband noise sources, Ffowcs-Williams Hawkings (FWH) model, Signal Processing
- Finite Volume Stress Modeling: Linear thermo-elastic, small and large deformation modeling, linear and non-linear contacts, fully coupled fluid-structure interaction
- Electrical Field Simulation: Electro-thermal Lithium-Ion Battery Simulation, Electrodynamics and Electrostatics: Joule (Ohmic) Heating and Electrostatic Coating
Details on the simulation capability is found on their web site.
CD-Adapco Star CCM+ to Ansys CFX (Ensight GEO to Patran OUT or Fluent MSH)
The two CFD Packages do not natively talk to each other. For this purpose we have developed an add-on to our InStep appliction that allows meshes generated in the CCM+ package to be read into CFX for processing. This allows meshes that cannot easily be generated in CFX to be exported from CCM+ and then imported into the CFX pre processor.
In addition to the core simulation packages above, structural FEA simulations of simple parts can be performed using Algor/Autodesk DesignCheck or Elmer. These kinds of simulations are usually better suited to simple cases to answer questions about strength and deflection of parts in use.